"To be an innovative provider of insurance products and services that enhance the viability and competitive position of the legal profession".
Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO) is an insurance company licensed to provide professional liability insurance
and title insurance in jurisdictions across Canada. Formerly known as LPIC, the company has been commonly known as LAWPRO since 2002.
LAWPRO provides liability insurance to more than 24,000 lawyers in private practice in Ontario.
Through its TitlePLUS program, LAWPRO also provides comprehensive title insurance and legal services coverage1
for residential purchase and mortgage-only/refinance transactions handled by lawyers across Canada.
LAWPRO also works with provincial regulatory agencies to distribute TitlePLUS title insurance through insurance
brokers to lawyers' clients, as required in certain provinces.
Incorporated in 1990 by the Law Society of Upper Canada, LAWPRO operates independently with its own management and board of
directors. LAWPRO operates in a commercially viable and responsible manner in accordance with the regulations of the Ontario
Insurance Act, the Ontario Corporations Act, and other applicable legislation. LAWPRO is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
All lawyers in private practice in Ontario must purchase standard liability insurance coverage from LAWPRO.
Coverage to a maximum of $1 million per claim/$2 million in the aggregate, for claims brought against the INSURED, as defined in the LAWPRO Policy.
||Base premiums in 2014 are $3,350 per insured lawyer. Many lawyers pay less, depending on premium coverage discounts they select.
Some statistics on the basic LAWPRO professional liability insurance program
- Insure more than 24,000 lawyers in private practice
- Manage about 2,000 new claims from lawyers every year
- Cost of resolving claims (gross claims costs) ranges from $80 to $90 million annually
- Provide lawyers with electronic filing for their LAWPRO transactions: In 2011, more than 95 per cent of lawyers filed applications via our website.
- LAWPRO offers excess insurance on an optional basis for an additional premium.
- LAWPRO's Excess Insurance limits range from $1 million per claim/$1 million in the aggregate to $9 million per claim/$9 million in the aggregate, above the $1 million per claim/$2 million in the aggregate limits of the primary program.
- Excess Insurance provides an additional layer of insurance protection should defence and indemnity payments on a claim exceed the limits of the primary program.
- Nearly 1,500 firms representing over 3,850 lawyers are currently insured with LAWPRO's Excess program.
Title insurance is a policy of insurance that provides coverage for the title-related risks associated with real estate transactions. It is designed to cover unpredictable or undetectable issues such as forgery, fraud, missing heirs, etc. that can affect rights of ownership. Title insurance moves the risk associated with title to the title insurer, away from the homebuyer, the lending institution, or the lawyer.
TitlePLUS title insurance1 is a full-service title insurance product that has several advantages:
- it provides coverage for both the title-related risks in a transaction, and for the legal services provided by the lawyer; and
- it automatically insures both the property owner and the lender under the same policy. TitlePLUS title insurance is available in all provinces and territories. The TitlePLUS program offers consumers and lenders alike some of the most comprehensive title-related protection available on the market today.
Some statistics on the LAWPRO TitlePLUS program
- TitlePLUS program is offered through an automated web-based delivery system.
- Close to 4,000 lawyers use the web-based TitlePLUS program nation-wide.
- Commercial coverage is available in Ontario for properties up to $2 million in value.
- Existing homeowner title coverage is available through the OwnerEXPRESS program.
practicePRO is LAWPRO'S risk and practice management program, developed to help lawyers practise more efficiently and help minimize risk of claim, and to adapt to the changing practice climate by providing them with tools and resources that enhance the viability and competitive position of their practices.
practicePRO resources include:
- Managing series of booklets: practice aids that provide a "how to" approach to law practice.
- Articles and videos: highlight the profession's legal obligations and liabilities.
- practicePRO website: information and resources on risk and practice management.
- Online Coaching Centre: self-coaching tool with 150 modules to help lawyers improve soft skills.
Awards and memberships
- LAWPRO was awarded an "A (Excellent)" financial strength rating in 2013; the 13th time the company has received this rating from A.M. Best Co., a leading rating agency
- LAWPRO is a member of NABRICO, the National Association of Bar-Related Insurance Companies
- TitlePLUS is a member of NABRTI, the North American BAR-RELATED® Title Insurers
Usage of LAWPRO name
- First reference to the word LAWPRO should always be accompanied by the ® symbol.
- The first letter of LAWPRO should always be printed in large caps. The next two letters (i.e. the AW) should be in small caps, at least a font size smaller than the remaining letters of the word. If the AW in LAWPRO cannot be reproduced using small caps, the word should be printed in all upper case letters: i.e. LAWPRO. It should not be used as a combination of lower case and upper case letters. Do not use LAWPRO, lawpro or LawPro.
1 Please refer to the policy for full details, including actual terms and conditions. The TitlePLUS policy is underwritten by Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company. TitlePLUS policies issued with respect to properties in Québec and OwnerEXPRESS® policies do not include legal services coverage.